National Park Gesäuse in Styria, Austria

Updated: December 27, 2020 | By | 1 More

The National Park Gesäuse was founded in 2002 and is the most recent national park in Austria and is known for its steep mountains with sharp edges and rough gores. It includes parts of the Styrian communities of Admont, Johansbach, Weng, Hieflau, Landl and St Gallen. This region is well-known for its centuries old culture and many market towns of the area have historical centres.

National Park Gesause, Austria
Photo licensed under the Creative Commons, created by Brikarus

Gesäuse National Park currently covers an area of 110 km2. It is a great opportunity for hiking along the river Enns, especially in late summer or autumn.

National park includes Buchstein massif with its peak Großer Buchstein (2224 metres above sea level) and wild romantic mountain massif Gesäuse with the highest peak Hochtor (2370 metres above sea level). Those peaks are separated from each other by the wild river Enns, which created a really romantic valley – a monumental breakthrough between cities Admont and Hieflau.

Over 80% of the national park is a part of the Johnsbach and Weng areas, the remaining 20% stretch around cities of Admont, Hieflau, Landl and St. Gallen.

National Park Gesause, Austria 2
Photo licensed under the Creative Commons, created by Hardo Müller

The centre of Gesäuse National Park is among alpinists very popular Hesshütte cottage, romantically situated at an altitude of 1699 metres in the saddle Ennseck, below the Hochtor summit. For tourists who want to achieve it smoothly there is a marked trail No. 601 leading from the Johns-bach – the southern Gesaeuse Massif, and running through steep woods. The cottage can such be reached in 2,5 – 3 hours.

It is possible to get to Hesshütte cottage also from the northern side of the massif. There are two very nice ascent routes leading from the Enns River valley. The first one, marked as No. 665, leads through Hartelsgraben gorge to Sulzkaralm plain and continues along the No. 601 over the saddle at Rotofen. By following this route you reach the cottage in 5-6 hours. This route is recommended in the opposite direction for easy descent of this mountain massif to the Enns Valley.

It is also worth to visit an oldest mountaineers’ cemetery in Austria, located in Johnsbach.

For lovers of extreme kinds of sports there are available outdoor centres on the rivers Enns and Salza, offering adventure kayaking or rafting, and parks with rope obstacles. Very popular is also a water park Wasserspielpark St. Gallen and archery in Palfau.

Tobogganing, Kaiserau, Austria
Photo licensed under the Creative Commons, created by Alex Barth

Winter lovers can go to a small, but beautiful ski area Kaiserau. For ski runners is recommended Hall, which is one of 15 centers ranked by Styrian seal of quality. Other activities include dog sledding, igloo building, tours on skis or snowshoes.

Even a trip to the monastery in Admont with the largest monastic library in the world should not miss when visiting this area.

View National Park Gesäuse in Styria, Austria in a larger map

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Austria, National Parks, National parks

About Europe Explored serves as a resource of the very best travel destinations from within Europe, including natural attractions, cities, sights, museums, amusement and theme parks, and much much more. We hope that we can help you choose the best holiday destination for you, and ensure easier travel throughout Europe. If you have any questions, or suggestions, please comment below and We'll do our best to answer you.

Comments (1)

Trackback URL

  1. armin says:

    Mountains is a pastime most favored by all.That too Mountains like this that are surrounded by calmness and freshness is loved by Hikers.

Submit your article!

It's free!

Do you have something you would like to tell to our readers? Do you offer some service within EU and would like to introduce it here? Or just live in some great place and would like to show it to all the travellers?

Then do not wait and submit your article now!