Vianden Castle (Château de Vianden) was built between the 11th and 14th centuries in areas of the former Roman fortress and is one of the most beautiful Romanesque-Gothic castles in Europe. It was one of the seats of influential counts of Vianden, with close connections to the German imperial court and to the Royal Family of France.
Photo licensed under the Creative Commons, created by Kristina D.C. Hoeppner
Vianden castle has been owned by the family of the Grand Duke of Luxembourg until 1977 when it was donated to the state. Since then it has undergone extensive exterior and interior refurbishment. For its scenic beauty it is often visited by huge number of tourists, but also by Hollywood filmmakers. Vianden castle has a beautiful view to the medieval town of Vianden, which was, in the past, very fond of French writer Victor Hugo. Local museum and a copy of a bust by Roden remind writer’s visits on the river Our.
Vianden is the birthplace of King John the Blind (John of Luxembourg). In 1310 he became Count of Luxembourg and after the marriage to Elisabeth of Bohemia (Czech: Eliška Přemyslovna) he became King of Bohemia. John of Luxembourg is today a popular historical figure in Luxembourg and weighed very much like his son Charles IV. in the Czech Republic.
Photo licensed under the Creative Commons, created by Roger Wollstadt
Vianden castle is accessible through the whole year.
02.01 – 28.02 10.00 – 16.00
01.03 – 31.03 10.00 – 17.00
01.04 – 30.09 10.00 – 18.00
01.10 – 31.10 10.00 – 17.00
01.11 – 31.12 10.00 – 16.00
Basic admission fee is €7,50 (2010). There is also interesting culture programme that includes exhibition, jazz concert etc…